Saturday, April 18, 2009

Bonsai - Miniature Trees

Here are pictures of my bonsai trees. Each winter, I bury them under leaves when they go dormant. Then I bring them out in the spring, trim their roots and prune their branches and re-pot them for the next season. In each pair of pictures, the first is from April, 2007; and the second is from April, 2009. (showing two years of progress.)






These two sets of photos are of Russian Olive trees. These were volunteers (planted by birds) which I dug up from my flower beds, and first potted in the spring of 2006. So, the summer of 2009 will be their 4th season.




The lava rock you see in all of these pots comes from Idaho. I picked it up in the lava fields north of Twin Falls on various trips to Sun Valley.







All of these other trees are Ash trees. Again, volunteers which I dug up from my flower beds, and first potted in the spring of 2006. These were not planted by birds, but grew from the many seeds which fall each year from an ash tree I moved from our Pony Express home to our Joey Park home in 1999. It was about 4 or 5 years old when I moved it, so it is now in about its 15th year. As with the Russian Olives, these Ash bonsai are beginning their 4th summer.