Sunday, September 20, 2009

Quail Report - Freedom Week 3



After I chased away two raucous magpies that had been hogging the feeder, I went looking for the quail. I found Quigley hiding in the tomatoes. His sister, was hiding behind the grow-box. But I could only find 3 quail during my morning search. All week long, we've seen 4 survivors on most days. I worried that another one had fallen victim to the magpies or other predators.


This was an interesting shot of Quigley pecking at an itch somewhere under his wing. I especially like how blue his breast feathers are.

Later in the day (with no magpies around) I found all four of our survivors pecking around near the feeder. That was a big relief! We hope they have learned how to stay safe!






1 comment:

photography by suzanne said...

Wow hun...These are great shots. I am impressed! Quigley boy is so cute.