Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Quail Report - Newcomers!







As I arrived home from work this evening, a family of quail walked onto our front lawn from the neighbor's yard - a dad, a mom, and 6 little quail chicks! I stopped and called Suzanne to come out of the house and watch. We watched them run across our yard, cross the street and hide in another neighbor's trees. Then the dad & mom flew up on the neighbor's house. They didn't seem to like the dog in that yard. After supper, I went back outside with my camera to see if I could find them. I circled the house and ended up in the back yard, approaching the back corner where our own quail are in their cage. I heard a lot of activity back there, so I peaked carefully through the bushes, and found this new family perched on the cage and scratching in the dirt around the cage. The dad took off running across our back lawn - to draw me away from his family. I took a few shots of him. Then shot these other pictures through the bushes - the mom perched on our cage, and some of the babies, just before they flew up onto the fence, and then into the back neighbor's yard to hid in their bushes. Our own birds seemed to enjoy the company - they didn't run and hide, but kept jumping onto their box and their perch. Isn't this fun?!



No comments: